Even when you’ve planned your trip down to the last detail, the unexpected can happen, so it’s best to be prepared. Travel insurance can help. Here are some real-life situations involving travellers who were glad to have the protection and assistance it provides when it counted most.
- On Jason and Brenda’s Mexican vacation, Jason was injured in a paragliding accident. He was airlifted to the nearest hospital for emergency surgery. After surgery, he needed to return home early. Because he had to cut his trip short, he also lost a good portion of his pre-paid trip costs.
- Emergency hospital and interruption benefits: $69,800 USD
- All-inclusive package plan: $105 CAD
- Provincial medical plans don’t cover the hefty costs of medical care
in the United States or other countries. So it’s a good thing Amelia bought travel insurance before her trip to Nevada. Just two days in, she developed fever, muscle pain and fatigue resulting from a bacterial infection, which required her to stay at a local hospital for two days.
- Medical emergency cost: $8,000 USD
- Emergency Hospital & Medical plan: $49 CAD
- 70 year-old Linda was visiting her sister in Florida for a month when she fell and fractured her hip. Linda required immediate surgery and several days of acute rehab before being discharged.
- Medical emergency cost: $104,944 USD
- Emergency Hospital & Medical plan: $154 CAD
- Government healthcare plans don’t cover many incidentals outside of your home province, such as an ambulance ride and out-of- pocket expenses.
While Margaret was visiting her son in BC from Ontario for one month, things were going great until two weeks into her trip she started feeling intense pain in her stomach. A CT scan showed she needed emergency surgery to remove a bowel obstruction.
- Medical emergency cost: $12,289 CAD
- Emergency Hospital & Medical plan: $151 CAD
The travel insurance provided expert care and support that alleviated the difficult situations of Jason, Amelia, Linda, and Margaret by covering their bills in full. Make sure you and your family are protected to avoid any surprises.